9 May 2010

Jewish Bastard

It seems that anti-Semitism comes in regional varieties.  In Leeds, the favourite was “a-Jew” pretending to sneeze.  In Reading, “Jewish Bastard” seems to be the way to go- we are a more direct bunch down here in the sticks. 

I was called a “Jewish Bastard” about two weeks ago where someone went to the effort to wind down the car window to shout at me.  Today, on the way to synagogue, there was an entire chorus of youths shouting it from the house.  I’ve been called it many times here before.  It makes you wonder where people agree these things.  Maybe, if Jews control the national and international media, the anti-Semites control the Reading Chronicle where they use a secret code.

The worst part was that I was walking with my mum.  It was just plain embarrassing!  I didn’t know where to look.  I didn’t want to look at people doing it and I didn’t want to see my mum’s reaction.  This is especially as my mum was so anti me wearing my kippa in public in the early days for this very reason.  Also, I felt bad for bringing attention onto her which she wouldn’t have otherwise received. 

I settled for a staring straight ahead and trying to pull off a bemused yet slightly amused face, with just a hint of resoluteness.  And no, I didn’t get any information for CST.  Too busy working out which face to pull.

No comments: