10 Oct 2016

The Time to do Good, and its Limit

One thing that I have already started with my son - and he is only two - is to ask him each day:

  • How have you helped someone today?
  • What did you learn?
This relates to the view I have had that beyond all specific beliefs, one should have two main drives: to learn more, and to do more good.

This served me well when I was, for example, at university and had the free time to focus on this.

Considering this now as an adult, with a wife and child, there is also the case of how I balance 'doing good' and 'learning' with other responsibilities that would take me away from such things, and take precious valuable time.

Let's say I was successful - even in the slightest - on my above two stated aims, but did that to the neglect of doing any ironing or household chores.  I may be a 'saint' or 'sage' in one respect, but also a bad (or at least selfish) person.  That said: if I was completely bogged down in paid work, chores and a modicum of leisure time; I would not be able to raise my life above the mundane.

Yes, I need to learn and do good.  And, whether I achieve it or not, I know its rough contours.  The more pressing concern is life's balance.  Not just work-life balance, but work-life-meaning-duty balance.  And above that, the overarching concept in our lives: time.

No comments: