19 Nov 2010

Pro-Israel, Pro-Freedom of Speech

Dear UJIA,

I would just like to pass on my support and encouragement to UJIA Chairman Mick Davis, after the so-called 'shockwaves' that have been sent through the Jewish community.

I have both donated to and benefited from UJIA-funded activities and am now encouraged to do more so in future. 

As a Zionist, I support your activities.  As an advocate of Israel, I realise the potential for public criticism being mis-used and the need to be careful.  But as a critical human being, I am pleased to hear people speak their mind.

One may agree or disagree with particular views expressed.  However, it is absolutely right that the oft-used phrase "just because we support Israel, doesn't mean we support all government policies" isn't merely theoretical or vacuous.  And certainly the view of another Jewish leader that "diaspora Jews should never criticise Israel" is absurd and immoral.

As with everything else in life, Zionists have a plurality of opinions.  It is good for Mick to express his.  I'm glad UJIA is showing itself as a "big tent" for all Zionists

Shabbat Shalom.

Neil Clarke

No comments: