13 Apr 2010

Make Sure You’re Registered!!

Yes, general election time and no doubt, there will be an awfully poor turnout as is the norm.  Make sure that you don’t contribute to this trend. 

The first step is to make sure you are actually on the electoral roll.  This is probably that should have been done as far back as last year.  However, in my case I was too lazy to register in Leeds and mistakenly thought I was already registered back in Reading.  Realising that I wasn’t registered last week, I thought it would be too late but there was enough time… just!  My local constituency had the deadline of the 20th April.  It may be different town to town but time is definitely running out.  For more information or to download a form see here:  www.aboutmyvote.co.uk. 

People not voting is a sign of the decadence of our culture.  We enjoy our freedom but don’t really believe in it enough to take an active part.  Not caring about democracy is the attitude that leads so many in our country to support tyrants (left and right) abroad.  Who are we to say that our society or form of governance is better than theirs?  Well, tell that to the Iraqis who risk bomb and bullet to be able to vote.  Whilst I hold no truck with imposing democracy on other people, the least we can do is to uphold our own.  Voting is not a right, it is a duty!

No comments: