24 Feb 2010

Things that slightly annoy me 1

This ‘slight annoyance’ is something that has happened many times to me, including the other day.  Imagine the scene: There is a Big Issue seller who is asking passer-by after passer-by to buy the magazine off them and they just get ignored.  As such, you resolve to buy one off them, get your money ready and approach them.  After handing your money across, they reveal a single magazine in a ripped plastic bag and ask, “Do you want the magazine?… It’s just that it is my last one…”

Do I want a magazine?  I have no idea whether I want a magazine but I paid for one.  Firstly, for them to keep it is explicitly against the Big Issue rules which are written inside.  As such, I’m perfectly within my rights to take it.  Secondly, it is entirely against the spirit of the enterprise.  They are meant to be “working, not begging”- selling you an item you want and earning the proceeds, and not guilt tripping you into giving them money.  Whilst most people do get it just for charity and not to read, a transaction should at least take place.

Of course, however, you can’t in reality take the magazine.  Doing it after they have taken your money puts you in an awkward position.  I would like to say that I “don’t have the heart” to take it, and that I don’t want to be responsible for them to be without food for the day.  In reality, however, I think they are being a tad dishonest but am concerned with appearing to be a stingy Jew.  This really is something that to a large extent, really very “slightly annoys” me.

No comments: