31 Jan 2010

Good things about running

So, I’m running the marathon and the pretext is that I am running to raise money for the Leeds Jewish Welfare Board http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/NeilClarke).  When they emailed me saying that there were reserved places left for them, I jumped at the chance.  Now, they are a worthwhile charity and I would have been too guilty to a marathon without raising at least a little money for someone.  But really, I have been saying for a few years that one day I’d do a marathon, and regardless I wanted to get back running again.  This was a great opportunity to do both!

It got me thinking about why running was good for me:

  • It suits my physical skills- I don’t have any physical skills!  All I have to is just keep on going. 
  • Fresh air- gets me out the house and means that I spend at least some of each day outside.
  • Rosy cheeks- I don’t know why but it’s cute.
  • Improves my skin- oils and toxins are released from your pores when you sweat. So long as you wash yourself straight after the run, your skin improves.
  • Helps me live longer- some people run marathons into their 80s.  I won’t.  But keeping body, mind and soul active is important to continued health.
  • Helps drive away the yetzer hara- to be all wishy washy, my “energies” go towards a constructive purpose rather than idle thoughts.  Some of the same hormones are released as when, for example, you eat chocolate…
  • Gives me a purpose- In a rudderless life like mine- this gives me an aim, one that is achievable and one that is largely in my control.
  • Time management- in order to fit a long run in, I actually have to think in advance about what to do with my evening.  I probably do more in that shorter amount of time
  • I feel less lethargic- activity breeds activity, while laziness only breeds more laziness.
  • Washed Clothes- running means there is no wearing the same underwear or T-shirts two days in a row!  So, I wash everything regularly and thee are less piles in my house.
  • Makes me ‘fit’- fit as in “yes you’re fit but don’t you know it” (oh, and the other kind). Toned muscles and slender stomach will make me irresistible(-ish).  All I will then have to work on is having a personality.

and many more…

No comments: