6 Apr 2009

(B"H) A Little Gratitude

It never hurts to thank people when they deserve thanking and to show gratitude if you have been the recipient of a person's good traits. This is what I intend to do!!!!

(I must admit, however, that the impetus to write this was not completely altruistic. I had sinned, was feeling very guilty and wondered how I could achieve kappara. I felt too guilty for confession (vidui) at that moment, as I couldn't vouch for my genuineness as to whether I would do it again or not. Giving money to charity was an appropriate response but felt that was too much like bribing G-d to remove the evil decree. As for repentance (teshuva) we'll have to wait and see! So I thought to myself, "What good can come from this that wouldn't otherwise happen?"- this is my insufficient response)

So here goes...

Dan l'kaf zechut- benefit of the doubt

The greatest example of this fine trait is my elderly neighbour- Betty- who lives in one of the flats downstairs . What is great is that she doesn't even know she is doing it. Often, she is there ready to intercept me (or any passer-by) in order to have someone to talk to. She'll often ask, of a morning, if I'm on my way to work. Now it has been known for me to sometimes oversleep. Okay- maybe slightly more than that. Now once I overslept till 11 and yet, when I go downstairs Betty casually asks if I'm on my way to work. There's not the slightest hint in her voice or manner that she takes this to be an unconventional time to go to work! If that is the time I'm going, then there is no assumption that it should be otherwise or that I'm doing wrong.

A shining example to us all!

Free Books

Below are three books that for altruistic reasons have been given to me. Admittedly, issue-based novels, works of practical halacha and books about the intersection of Darwin and Judaism would not be my first choice. But maybe that it what is so special about these gifts- I read things that I otherwise wouldn't!

The Fixer

Dan (one of my old housemates) and I were in a taxi on the way back to LA airport and the Russian driver noticed we were Jewish. He was clearly so himself and started up a conversation. Dan did most of the talking with him, as I didn't like many of the views that he was expressing and could only manage nods and grunts. However, as we arrived at the airport, he took out a book from the compartment in the car door, and gave it to me as a present.

The book was clearly one of his favourites that he had read and re-read tens of times. The book is decades old (cost 95 cents at the time), pages are worn and grubby, the front cover is torn in various places, the spine is slowly pealing off, the corners are bent and every time I touch it, something falls off! He obviously liked it enough to keep in his car.

Why he decided to give it to me I'm not sure! The novel was about a blood libel against a Russian Jew, and I'm sure anti-semitism came into our conversation. But I'm sure he would have had Jewish passengers in LA before and he would of talked to them about anti-semitism too! Also, why did he specifically give it to ME, as opposed to Dan? I'm not sure but THANK YOU- it's a good novel!

Jewish Tradition and the Challenge of Darwinism

Geoffrey Cantor was my supervisor on my undergrad philosophy dissertation on Maimonides. He is also an expert historian on how both Jews and Quakers interacted with and viewed science over time. The year following my dissertation, I found a free copy of a new book he had helped edit, with a little note, in my philosophy pigeon hole. He wasn't generally giving them out and was touched that he thought of me!

Pirchei Shoshanim's "Making the Shabbos Kitchen"

I have filled in a couple of times for Rabbi Yechiel Conway and leined in Harrogate. This is because of an accident he has had. Anyway, when collecting the keys for the Harrogate shul flat, he had this book ready to give me which he had helped edit. Again, very kind. But I won't attempt proper gratitude myself but quote the gratitude of the books author to him, in the preface:

"I must acknowledge the inspiration, lively email discussions spanning over 2,200 in number, and the considerable clarity brought to the text by the editorial revisions he provided. R' Yechiel is a remarkable person, with a brilliant mind. The friendship that emerged from working together is the highlight of my participation in this project."

My Boss

I like him- what more do I need to say! Well there is the fancy MP3 player he gave me for Chanukah (NB: That's not the reason I like him). I intentionally didn't tell him of my birthday, just in case he got me another unnecessarily large present. In hindsight, maybe that was a bad move as no friends got me anything (cough... only gratitude from here on in). However, I don't think my conscience would allow me to take anything more from him.

I could list a few more nice things but then my "I like him- what more do I need to say! " would seem incredibly strained, so I won't.

Shabbat Meals

A few thank yous to those North Leodensians that have been so kind as to offer me Shabbat meals. I have literally relied on these people!!! :-)

Nicole & Simon Myerson

Valerie and Ivor Baum

Susan and Neville Cohen

Dabrushie and Eli Pink

Ettie and Yehuda Refson

Ruth and Chaim Bell

... and Shalom Kupperman

Eleanor and Allan Taylor

Elise and Jason Kleiman

Denise and Stanley Surr

Valerie and Jonathan Bodansky

Leonie and David Apfel

Naomi and Daniel Levy

Jonathan Sumroy and parents

Also, thanks goes to a few people who have wanted to have me but for certain reasons, I could not eat there.

And...

My parents, agents and publicist; without whom, I wouldn't be where I am today.

Oh! And... Of Course....

....Baruch Hashem

(B- shows promise but could do better)

No comments: