23 Jan 2009

David Milliband and I

Today I hate a private meeting with David Milliband- the foreign secretary.  Well, not quite private.  My good friend Dave, myself and about 59 other people.  He talked about Israel and such like to important communal people!!  I was so enamoured with his responses that I can't remember a single word he said.  Either that or it was before 9 in the morning and I was a zombie.  (It's something to tell the parents at any rate.)

On the whole, the answers which he gave were very politique and thus, friendly and positive about Israel.  On the other hand, he was honest and candid.  So, for example, he clearly said in response to a question: "I don't think Hamas has been politically weakened by the Israeli incursion, and I don't think Mahmoud Abas has been strengthened". 

Example 2: he said that absolutely, allegations of Israeli war crimes should be fully investigated just as Britain are constantly investigated for such crimes in other Afghanistan.  That democracies such as Israel and Britain should be held to higher standards than terrorists is a good thing.  It is our values- Britain and Israel's values- that make us what we are.

Other than this, I can't remember much.  I do remember feeling sorry for the older people in the room.  Standing there, all I could think of "oooooh... ain't he young?"  He looked very good for his age and not a single gray hair.  If I was thinking that, what must everyone else been thinking?

No comments: