22 Dec 2006

My first blog

My first intrepid venture into the land of blogging. What am I going to write about generally? I don't know. Am I going to write anything now? No. Will I be very active for a couple of weeks, and then not be bothered any more (like with every diary I have ever tried to write)? Probably.

However, I read something about how blogging is having a really important impact and even the big newspapers are sitting up and taking notice. For example, bloggers pointed out faked and staged photographs supposedly taken during the recent Lebanon war. It got me thinking that this could turn out to be a really valuable tool. It's a chance to get your voice out there and to put forward a point of view that people may have not heard before. Politics, religion, science, philosophy, the environment. Think of the possibilities!

A groundswell of reasonableness, bottom-up; real democracy at work. That's the dream. Hear each other's voices. Of course, no-one generally reads blogs unless the blog is arrogant, one sided and full of vitriol. Those who have an axe to grind generally do just fine. Blogs allow for more depth than sound bite politics but hardly for reasoned argument. Just the right length for a mini-speech. Oh well, we can all but try. It'll hopefully be therapeutic at least.

No comments: